The Sharon-fruit time is now!
Arisa the largest Sharon-fruit pack house is preparing itself for a very big season with a lot of new developments planned for the coming season.
With a few upgrades in the pack house we intend to increase our daily packing capacity to supply the market demands. It means that we will provide seasonal jobs for about 300 people.
We intend to provide jobs for people from Swellendam, Buffeljagsriver and Suurbraak.
The pack house will ensure the correct handling and treatment of the product to make sure the client receives top quality ready to eat Sharon-fruit.
We will also invite schools to visit the pack house during our coming season to educate them about Sharon-fruit and create awareness.
With a very well prepared marketing plan the pack house want to increase the return to the growers and also the main focus point being quality and pack house efficiency.
Arisa offers a packing service that is structured around the requirements of the client, whether it is the producer or the Marketer.
Features of the packing service include:
- Fruits we can accommodate: Sharon-fruit, Peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums, pomegranates and some other varieties.
- Vegetable packing: We packed unions, butternut and green beans
- Producer-specific packing: Fruit from individual producers are always packed separately and recorded as such. The advantages of this are:
- Every producer will recieve his actual production report.
- Producers can measure orchard performance as well as pack house effectiveness and quality.
- The end user can trace the origin of the fruit back to the farm.
- Cooling: Upon delivery to Arisa, Sharon-fruit and Stone fruit are immediately placed in forced air cooling and brought down to -0.5 °C within 24 hours. If it cannot be packed immediately after that, it is stored at a temperature of -0.5 °C. The advantages of this are minimum moisture loss, and very little quality loss due to prolonged high fruit temperatures. Cooling Protocol for each fruit type, apply in this regard.
- Graded packing: We have a 6 lane Mafroda Pomone II, for export fruit which can do color sorting, and a 2 lane Mafroda Pomone II sizer for local packing.
- Skilled packers: Arisa has highly skilled packers and sorters, we have elite group of seasonal workers that is coming back each year from other pack houses to work with us since 2004 when the season is starting.
- HACCP/BRC accreditation: Fruit are packed in a HACCP-accredited packing installation and HACCP/BRC-accredited procedures and processes are applied.
- Volumes: Arisa is willing to accommodate producers or exporters with smaller volumes on the same basis as producers or exporters with larger volumes.
Arisa offers coolingservices to clients that have their fruit packed at Arisa.
- Types of fruit we have stored: Peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums, pears, pomegranates, soft citrus and Sharon-fruit.
- Cooling capacity: There is sufficient cooling capacity to cool 208 pallets of fruit to -0.5 °C within 24 hours. This ensures the best quality of fruit.
- Storage capacity: There is sufficient storage capacity to store fruit for longer periods of time with our pallet racking system. The advantage is that an exporter can manage his marketing better by storing in South Africa and only exporting when demanded.
- PPECB-approved cold stores: Arisa’s cold stores are approved by PPECB. This means that the equipment, infrastructure and management adhere to requirements of export programs.
- Special export programs: Arisa has been approved as a loading point for special export programs. Most of the special export programs require a period of up to 72 hours during which fruit must be kept at a low and very stable temperature. After this “pre-steri” period at the cold store, fruit can be loaded in containers for direct shipment to the special export destination.
NDA inspection services
Arisa is an approved inspection facility for all fruit for export to the Special Markets. Fruit undergo a phyto-sanitary inspection conducted by officials from the National Department of Agriculture. After being approved, Arisa can pre-steri the fruit and load it into containers for direct shipment, or can transfer the fruit to another loading point.
Services per fruit category: peaches, nectarines, plums and apricots.
- In-take: Fruit from farms are received in a covered area.
- Inspection: Un-inspected fruit are presented to the PPECB inspector immediately during packing.
- Cooling: Immediately after being passed for export, fruit are placed in pre-cooling tunnels and cooled down to the required temperature within 24 hours. Once cold, fruit can be stored or loaded into containers for shipment.
- Additional services to producers: The completion of incomplete pallets and the efficient handling of fruit for the local market.
- Free of chemical system – compliant with strict Europe regulations. Will provide you with chemical free packing line.
- Our plastic bins won’t contaminate the fruit as use with wooden bins might cause. Plastic bins provide much better ventilation than wooden bins.
- Neither the bins nor the packed fruit pallets won’t stay out of the cold storage while waiting to be packed or to be shipped as, unfortunately, can happen from time to time in other pack houses which do not have sufficient cooling facilities.
- The pallets will be loaded directly into the container in the pack house with the right temperature after pre cooling.
- Dedicated service before, during and after the season I.e.
- Negotiating for the best price for cartons and packing materials and logistic.
- An “Open House” 24 hours a day for recieving and dispatching.
- Availibility of reports on the growers by fax, email and also availible in the grower internet account. (E-pack system)
- The exporter will be the choice of the grower, otherwise exporter which will be approved by Arisa and the grower will be used.
- We believe that all above mentioned tied with our discipline and experience will improve the quality of your fruit and therefore minimize rejects and losses overseas.
- We would be happy to discuss in details any other issues that you would like to raise.